Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Best Quiche Ever!

Ok, so we’re the night before our eat at home challenge (2/16) and I’m so excited to start! Last night we planned out our menu and I went grocery shopping today. We did eat out at lunch today, but we kicked off the evening by trying a new quiche recipe. And it was the best quiche ever. My friend Dana made this for a girls brunch and I had to have the recipe. She found it on allrecipes.com.

Quiche Lorraine

  • 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch single crust pie
  • 12 slices bacon
  • 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
  • 1/3 cup minced onion
  • 4 eggs, beaten
  • 2 cups light cream
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon white sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

    1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

    2. Place bacon in a large skillet, and fry over medium-high heat until crisp. Drain on paper towels, then chop coarsely. Sprinkle bacon, cheese and onion into pastry shell.

    DSC_0256

    3. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, cream, salt, sugar and cayenne pepper. Pour mixture into pastry shell.

    DSC_0257

    4. Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C), and bake an additional 30 minutes, or until a knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean. Allow quiche to sit 10 minutes before cutting into wedges.

    DSC_0260

    Changes that I made:

    • I had heavy whipping cream so I used a cup of that and a half a cup of 1% milk. Several people on allrecipes.com commented that it was too runny when they used the 2 cups of cream so I decided to use just a cup and a half.
    • The recipe called for 1/3 a cup of onion, but we used at least a 1/2 cup and we sautéed them in butter (and I’m sure they would have been good sautéed in the bacon grease, that sounds really bad doesn’t it? I wasn’t patient enough to wait on the bacon to cook before I started the onions.) I think next time we’ll use even more onion.
    • I put my pie dish on a cookie sheet and thank goodness! It did spill over a little bit so I highly recommend that you do that!!!
    • My new oven cooks a little hot and fast so when I turned the temp down during the last 30 mins of cooking I lowered it to 275, and next time I might cover the crust with foil, but I don’t think you would have to do that depending on your oven.

    And then we made these for dessert. YUM! We only had the big marshmallows, but they were still tasty. Jeff said he thought they were almost too much for him, but seriously, how can chocolate, marshmallows, graham crackers, and brownies be too much!?

    DSC_0263

  • No comments:

    Post a Comment