Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cornbread Salad

We’ve been doing great eating at home.  I’m happy to report that we haven’t cheated at all!  We did go out to Moe’s for our youth missions night on Thursday, but we had planned that ahead of time and won’t be going out again until the next one on March 25th. 

I went to a pampered chef party on Tuesday night and we made this yummy salad!  Most of these ingredients are staples at our house so I had to make it the next day too.  And Jeff loved it. 

Cornbread Salad

Cornbread Mix (I use Jiffy)

Green Chilies

1 small onion

1 tomato

1 bell pepper

1 can corn

1 can pinto beans

1 package of grated cheddar cheese

ranch dressing mix

sour cream

mayonnaise

1 package bacon

  • First make your cornbread and add a can of green chilies to the mix.  
  • While your cornbread is cooking chop your bell pepper, onion, and tomato. 
  • Cook your bacon (I guess you could buy the precooked bacon)
  • Also, make your dressing by mixing the dressing packet, a cup of mayo and a cup of sour cream
  • You are going to layer this salad by starting with half of the cornbread.  You crumble it in the bottom of the bowl.  (I used too large of a bowl-a truffle bowl was perfect for this.  That’s what we used at the party)

DSC_0305 The you begin layering starting with half a can of drained pinto beans, half a can of corn, half a bell pepper, half an onion, and half a tomato.  I didn’t have any tomato so I didn’t add it.  Just to keep it real…I forgot to add the corn too I ended up putting the entire can on top and it still tasted yummy, but wasn’t as pretty.

DSC_0304

DSC_0308

Then you add the layers-half the bacon, half the ranch and half the cheese and then do it all again!  You can eat it immediately and it sits really well.  We had it left over a few days for lunch.  

DSC_0307

Changes I’d make-I think it would be really yummy with green onions and I would definitely recommend using a smaller bowl.  I thought I was going to run out of room and used this giant bowl, but it made my ranch layer much thinner and it was a little dryer than at the party.  Also, the tomatoes were really good in the one we had at the party, but I think ours was great left over without it.  I don’t know how soggy they would make it if you were planning on eating it over.

No comments:

Post a Comment